Fundamentals: Social Services Resources
Engstrom, D.W. & Okamura, A. (2004). A plague of our time: Torture, human rights, and social work. Families in Society, 85(3), 291-300.
Engstrom, D.W. & Okamura, A. (2004). Working with survivors of torture: Approaches to helping. Families in Society, 85(3), 301-309.
Herman, J.L. (1992). Trauma and recovery: The aftermath of violence. New York, Basic.
Smith, Hawthorne E. and Wilkinson, John. Social Service Provision, in Smith, Hawthorne, Keller, Alan, and Lhewa, DW, eds. Like a Refugee Camp on First Avenue: Insights and Experiences from the Bellevue-NYU Program for Survivors of Torture. New York: Bellevue-NYU Program for Survivors of Torture, 2007, Chapter 9
Archived social services webinars on HealTorture.org are listed below in the yellow cards, especially:
- Psychoeducational Groups with Torture Survivors – 12-week Model – recorded on 10/15/08*
- Vocational Rehabilitation with Torture Survivors – recorded on 7/30/08
- Strengthening Case Management series – recorded in 2013:
- Strengthening Case Management: The Value of the Therapeutic Dimension.
- Strengthening Case Management: Introducing Narrative Concepts.
- Strengthening Case Management: Containment With Clients.
- Strengthening Case Management: Case Management and the Suicidal Client.
*You must be a logged-in member to view this webinar. If you are not yet a member of healtorture.org, you can request membership through the link above.
Lesson Summary (Job Aid):
This is a one-page, quick reference for the lesson: Job Aid
Included in the eLearning:
Return to the Fundamentals E-Learning Series home page to continue on another lesson or from some of the lessons below.
SeriesStrengthening Case Management
resourceHealing the Hurt
WebinarPsychoeducation Groups with Torture Survivors – 12-week model
WebinarVocational Rehabilitation with Torture Survivors
E-LearningFundamentals: Cultural Competence
E-LearningFundamentals: Self Care
E-LearningFundamentals: Working With Interpreters
resourceImproving Well-Being for Refugees in Primary Care: A Toolkit for Providers
SeriesFundamentals of Providing Services to Torture Survivors eLearning Series