Fundamentals: Medical Services Resources
Original Publication Date: June 26, 2017
Last Updated: April 1, 2023
Estimated Read Time: 2 minutes
- Medical Evaluation and Care for Survivors of Torture and Refugee Trauma (Listed below in downloads)
- Benson J, Skull S. Hiding from the sun – vitamin D deficiency in refugees. Australian Family Physician. 2007;36:355-357.
- Crosby SS, Norredam M, Paasche-Orlow MK, et al. Prevalence of torture survivors among foreign-born patients presenting to an urban ambulatory care practice. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2006;21(7):764-8.
- Grodin MA, Piwowarczyk L, Fulker D, Bazazi AR, Saper RB. Treating Survivors of Torture and Refugee Trauma: A Preliminary Case Series Using Qigong and T’ai Chi. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008 Sept;14(7):801-806.
- Istanbul Protocol. Manual on the Effective Investigation and Documentation of Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. Available through the UN Office of the High Commisioner on Human Rights. The Istanbul Protocol (Listed below in downloads).
- Keller, Allen, Leviss, Jonathan, Levy, Nancy, and Dyson, Deborah. Medical Evaluation and Care for Survivors of Torture/Refugee Trauma, in Smith, Hawthorne, Keller, Alan, and Lhewa, DW, eds. Like a Refugee Camp on First Avenue: Insights and Experiences from the Bellevue-NYU Program for Survivors of Torture. New York: Bellevue-NYU Program for Survivors of Torture, 2007, Chapter 7 (attached)
- Pease M, Sollom R, Wayne P. Acupuncture for Refugees with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Initial Experiences Establishing a Community Clinic, EXPLORE: The Journal of Science and Healing. 2009;5(1):51-54.
- Physicians for Human Rights. Examining Asylum Seekers: A Health Professional’s Guide to Medical and Psychological Evaluations of Torture. Available for purchase through the PHR website
- Rasmussen OV. Medical aspects of torture. Danish Medical Bulletin. 1990;37(Suppl 1):1-88.
- Vitamin D deficiency in multicultural primary care: A case series of 299 patients. British Journal of General Practice. 2007;57:577–579.
- Vogel H, Schmitz-Engels F, Grillo C. Radiology of Torture. European Journal of Radiology. 2007;63(2):187-204.
- Walker and Barnett (eds). HIV Infection in Immigrants. Immigrant Medicine. Elsevier, 2007.
- Weinstein et al. Torture and war trauma survivors in primary care practice. Western Journal of Medicine. 1996;165:112-118.
Country conditions may be found on these web sites:
Learning Aid (Job Aid):
This is a one-page, quick reference for the lesson: Learning Aid
Included in the eLearning:
Return to the Fundamentals E-Learning Series home page to continue on another lesson or from some of the lessons below.
WebinarWho Is a Torture Survivor: Understanding the Legal Definitions of Torture
E-LearningFundamentals: Core Concepts and Eligibility Requirements
E-LearningFundamentals: Cultural Competence
E-LearningFundamentals: Self Care
E-LearningFundamentals: Working With Interpreters
SeriesFundamentals of Providing Services to Torture Survivors eLearning Series