Original Publication Date: July 6, 2012
Last Updated: April 2, 2023
Estimated Read Time: 5 minutes
Introductory Materials on Statistics and Evaluation
These statistics textbooks are all available for free within Google Books. Click on the link to open the book. You can also find many of these at the library for review:
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS for Windows(link is external). This step-by-step manual (available through Google Book) shows how to set up a data file in SPSS and perform basic analysis and create basic graphs. Include steps showing how to merge two data files within SPSS.
- Rossi, P.H., Lipsey, M.W. & Freeman, H.E. (2003). Evaluation: A systematic approach(link is external). Thousand Hills, CA: Sage Publications. Broad introduction to the social science of program evaluation. Provides examples of applying program evaluation theory to social intervention. Historical examples can provide some context for “big picture” planning.
- Howell, Fundamental Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences(link is external). Basic methods for inferential statistics (including normal distribution, correlation, regression, chi-square). Each topic includes examples of applications that apply to social sciences and step by step guide to use SPSS. A graduate level text, but approachable.
- Pagano, Understanding Statistics in the Behavioral Sciences(link is external). Comprehensive overview of descriptive and inferential statistics. Textbook for undergraduate courses. Highly user-friendly, highly approachable writing style.
- Wood, Marilynn J.; Kerr, Janet C. Basic Steps in Planning Nursing Research: From Question to Proposal, Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers (2011). Useful section describing how to assess reliability of data(link is external), p. 209-215.
Measurement and Testing (technical)
- Crocker and Algina, Introduction to Classical and Modern Test Theory(link is external) (2006). (This link provides information about the book; the book is not available online.) This textbook covers basic psychometrics: measuring constructs, checking for reliability and validity, scoring tests, and interpreting data. Useful sections on identifying bias in measurement, and whether scores provide accurate measures.
- McDonald, Test Theory: A Unified Treatment(link is external) (1999). Textbook covers how items are scored, reliable scales, regression as a predictor, and response modeling. Focuses on how to evaluate test results in settings of psychology, social sciences, and education.
Measurement/Assessment and Practice
- Finn, S.E. & Tonsanger, M.E. (1997). Information-gathering and therapeutic models of assessment: complementary paradigms. Psychological Assessment, 9(4), 374-385. Abstract(link is external) (free), full article (link is external)(purchase).
- Finn, S.E. & Tonsanger, M.E. (1992). Therapeutic effects of providing MMPI-2 test feedback to college students awaiting therapy. Psychological Assessment, 4(3), 278-287. Abstract(link is external) (free), full article (purchase(link is external)).
- Hilsenroth, M.J., Peters, E.J., & Ackerman, S.J. (2004). The development of therapeutic alliance during psychological assessment: patient and therapist perspectives across treatment. Journal of Personality Assessment, 83(3), 332-344. Abstract(link is external) (free), full article(link is external) (purchase).
Implications of Culture in Measurement, Research & Evaluation
- Davis, Rebecca Meghan; Davis, Henry. PTSD symptom changes in refugees, TORTURE Journal Vol. 16, No. 1(link is external), 10-19 (2006). Full article PDF(link is external) (free).
- Elsass, Peter; Carlsson, Jessica; Jespersen, Kristian; Phuntsok, Kalsang. Questioning western assessment of trauma among Tibetan torture survivors, TORTURE Journal Volume 19, No. 3(link is external), 200, 194-203 (2009). Full article PDF(link is external) (free).
- Heppner, Wampold, and Kivlighan. Research Design in Counseling(link is external) (2007). (link to free copy within Google books)
- Hollifield, Michael; Warner, Teddy; Lian, Nityamo; Krakow, Barry; Jenkins, Janis; Kesler, James; Stevenson, Jayne; Westermeyer, Joseph. Measuring Trauma and Health Status in Refugees, JAMA Vol. 288, No. 5, 611-621 (2002). Abstract(link is external) (free); full article PDF(link is external) (free).
- Ida, DJ; JA, Davis. Research and evaluation on programs for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and other Pacific Islander populations, focal point Vol. 21, No. 2(link is external), 28-31 (2007). Full article PDF(link is external) (free).
- Lhewa, Dechen; Banu, Sophia; Rosenfeld, Barry; Keller, Allen. Validation of a Tibetan Translation of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 and the Harvard Trauma Questionnaire, Assessment, Vol. 14, No. 3, 223-230 (2007). Abstract(link is external) (free); full article PDF(link is external) (now free).
- Shoeb, Marwa; Weinstein, Harvey; Mollica, Richard. The Harvard Trauma Questionnaire: Adapting a Cross-Cultural Instrument for Measuring Torture, Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Iraqi Refugees, International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Vol. 53, No. 5, 447-463 (2007). Abstract(link is external) (free); full article PDF (link is external)(requires subscription).
- Sue, S. & Chang, J. (2003). The state of psychological assessment in Asia. Psychological Assessment, 15(3), 306-310. Abstract(link is external) (free), full article PDF(link is external) (now free).
Ethics in Research Evaluation & Practice
- LaPolt, Elizabeth K. Ethical Dilemmas in Program Evaluation and Research Design. 2010-04-20. (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5p8IPbTi4)(link is external) Full article(link is external) (free).
- MacQueen, Kathleen; Buehler, James. Ethics, Practice, and Research in Public Health, American Journal of Public Health Vol. 94, No. 6 (2004). Abstract(link is external) (free), full article PDF(link is external) (free).
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. (2011). Performance measurement and evaluation: Definitions and relationships. GAO-11-616SP. Washington, D.C. Available online(link is external) (free).
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Science of Improvement: Establishing Measures. Available online(link is external) (free). This online article reviews different types of measures, with examples to illustrate. Includes list of tips for sampling and effective measures.
- Program Evaluation: Alternative Approaches and Practical Guidelines. Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Sanders, and Worthen. (4th Ed., 2010, 560pp.) This college textbook includes theory of evaluation, logic models, numerous examples, and best practices. Includes checklists and charts for your own implementation. (link to list of sites where you may purchase this book(link is external))
- Program Evaluation Essentials. PowerPoint presentation(link is external) (free). This presentation was developed for the Minnesota Evaluation Association(link is external) in June, 2009. All rights reserved. This presentation was prepared by (in alphabetical order) Edita Bucinca, Ann Mavis, Laura Pejsa, Cindy Reich, Denise Roseland, and Robert Tornberg, under the direction of Dr. Jean A. King, University of Minnesota. This presentation is a centerpiece of the Minnesota Evaluation Association’s page on “Evaluation 101,” covering the basics of program evaluation.
- Program Manager’s Guide to Evaluation. 2nd Ed (2010) https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/program_managers_guide_to_eval2010.pdf(link is external) Within this website, click on the heading for PROGRAMS, and then the subheading for Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation. The OPRE Resource Library(link is external) has several useful articles.
- University of Wisconsin Extension‐Program Development & Evaluation http://www.uwex.edu/ces/pdande/evaluation/evallogicmodel.html(link is external) This site includes extensive information about logic models, including templates for creating your own logic model.
Evidence-based Outcomes Analysis
- Bloom.,M, Fischer J & Orme J (2009) Evaluating Practice : Guidelines for the accountable Professional (6th Ed.) Boston: Allyn and Bacon. (link to list of sites where you may purchase this book(link is external))
- Chorpita B F, Becker, K.D & Daleden, E L (2007) Understanding the Common Elements of Evidence Based Practice. In Evidence Based Practice, American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Available online(link is external) (free).
- Levine E.R (2004) Glossary. In Roberts, A. R & Yeager, K.R (Eds) Evidence-Based Practice Manual: Research and Outcome Measures in Health and Human Services (PP971-1007) New York: Oxford University Press. Available online through Google books(link is external) (free).
- Mullen J.E (2004) Facilitating practitioner use of evidence based practice. In Roberts & Yeager (Eds) Desk Reference for Evidence-Based Practice in Healthcare and Human Services. New York Oxford University Press. Available online through Google books(link is external) (free).
- Valentine, Jeff; Cooper, Harris. Effect Size Substantive Interpretation Guidelines: Issues in the Interpretation of Effect Sizes, Washington, DC: What Works Clearinghouse (2003). full article PDF(link is external) (free). This article discusses three ways to communicate the strength or weakness of the effect of an intervention. In general, outcomes analysis should include a discussion of effect size, to show the strength of impact of your intervention.
- Chapter 7(link is external) of the curriculum guide topics “Introduction to Quality Improvement Methods” of the Patient Safety Curriculum Guide, published online by the World Health Organization in 2011. (18 pp.) The companion Teaching slides(link is external) are available on the WHO website. A clear review of Quality Improvement methods and history. Although CQI refers to the medical profession, the methods are the same in a wide range of industries and professions.