In this second session of this two-part series, Richard Mollica will facilitate a conversation with Dr. Sebastian Ssempijja, Ph.D. CEO/Clinic Director, Sebastian Family Psychology Practice, LLC, and Laura Morrissette MA, LMHC, a therapist with the Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma (HPRT) who will use case studies to share their insights on using the H.E.A.R.T. model in a clinical setting and how it might compare with using a trauma sensitive meditation instruction approach.
Now available with closed captioning.
Staff of all disciplines are encouraged to attend. After the MIW, participants will be equipped to:
- Understand the magnitude of mental health problems for refugees
- Describe Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and how it relates to working with survivors of torture
- Articulate the basic principles of hearing the trauma story
- Identify the key components of the H.E.A.R.T. model for therapy
- Center for Mindfulness in Medicine Healthcare, and Society, UMass Medical School
- The John Main Center for Meditation and Inter-religious Dialogue, Georgetown University
- Hanh Nhat, T. (2011). The long road turns to joy: A guide to walking meditation. Berkeley, CA: Parallax Press.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., & University of Massachusetts Medical Center/Worcester. (1991). Full catastrophe living: Using the wisdom of your body and mind to face stress, pain, and illness. New York, N.Y: Dell Pub., a division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Pub.
- Main, J.(2006). Word into silence: A manual for Christian meditation. London: Canterbury Press Norwich.
- Salzberg,S. (1995). Loving kindness: The revolutionary art of happiness. Boston, MA: Shambala.
- Treleavan, D. (2018). Trauma sensitive mindfulness: Practices for safe and transformative healing. NYC, NY: W.W. Norton & Company.
- MBSR Workbook for Anxiety. It comes with access to guided meditations on audio MP3s
- A similar book by one of the same authors in Spanish this also comes with audio guided meditation
- Awareness and Relaxation Training (ART) Mindfulness Programs https://www.mindfulnessprograms.com/