This webinar, from 7/11/2007, features Christine Hyland.
This webinar is presented as a part of the National Capacity Building (NCB) webinar series. NCB is a project of the Center for Victims of Torture.
This webinar focuses on the “Ten Immutable laws of the Fundraising Universe.” Areas of discussion in this webinar include how to tell your story, creating a list of how donors can help, and writing an annual public relations plan for your organization. The speaker also notes the importance of building a relationship with local reporters that write about events related to your field (events, galas, etc.). It is also important to thank your donors often, the speaker suggests seven times. Expressions of gratitude are most effective when created by the clients themselves, in a creative manner. The webinar concludes on the golden rule, “You can have PR without fundraising…but you can’t have fundraising without PR!”
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- The PR Coach
- Fundraising Overview
- Three free tools to boost your nonprofit’s public relations
- Totem- “A simple app that creates professional looking and comprehensive press pages for your website.”
- PitchEngine is a social media press release app that allows you to pitch all kinds of content, including text, slideshows, a video section, captions, tags for blog posts, link to related news and a ready-made tweet.
- Newsle tracks your Facebook friends, LinkedIn connections and email contacts in the news. You just sign up, and you can follow everyone you know
Related Articles and Books:
- Promoting Your Not-for-Profit through Public Relations (free from Guidestar)
- Why Non-Profits Need Social Media (Free online)
- Feinglass, A. (2005). The public relations handbook for nonprofits: A comprehensive and practical guide. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Fitch, B. (n.d.). Media relations handbook: For government, associations, nonprofits, and elected officials (Second ed.).